Thursday, January 11, 2007

Eating Out

I love to cook. I like trying new recipes...I like having people over.....I like it the most when other people like it. But there is just something about going out to eat that is special (even if you have 2 kids with you). I like that once you get to the right restaurant you don't have to worry about pleasing everyone. You can have what you want. You also don't have to do the dishes or pick up everything that Owen and I drop on the floor.
Even though we sometimes set aside time with just our family to go out, we really like to go with friends. Our first going out to eat friends (as a couple) were John and Renee who now live in San Diego. We lived in the Bay Area and we could always rely on them to want to eat out as much as we did. When we lived in Myrtle Creek we could always count on my parents and many of our friends to be at El Paraiso on Friday or Saturday night and Pizza Palace on Sunday. We have several couples and families that we go out with now but when we first moved to Abilene James and Kami Yasko introduced us to a few places. They are the heroes by taking us to The Home Place in Tuscola, Texas. So far this is my favorite place to eat. It is a family style restaurant that has the best home cooking around. When anyone comes to visit or we have a special occasion, that's where we end up. Of course, in Abilene there isn't much to do but eat out.
I have so many good memories though that don't include food. It's like each stage of my life has a food place to represent it. Abby's Pizza during High School. The Taco Bell on Stark in College (along with many others depending on the person). Chili's when Kevin and I started dating. Krispy Kreme when we lived in Fremont (along with all 20 other places around it). El Paraiso when we moved back to Myrtle Creek and the Home Place now.
I also have a place that I think of with each friend I have. Too much to list. I could go on for hours...your turn.

3 comments:

Jenny Wilkinson said...

When I think of eating out with the Johnstons I think of the Chinese restaraunt in Coos Bay (or N.Bend) that we met at once. The tradition contiunues.

Rebecca said...

Hey I found you! Hope all is well there in Texas!

RoniZee said...

Taco Bell on Stark...definitely a Cascade Classic. I still go there sometimes and I almost always run into someone else from Cascade.

Most of my other places have ended up being coffee shops...and then it's mainly because I worked there.