Sunday, April 29, 2007

Garage Sales

Oh how I love garage sales.

We had literally the Best Yard Sale Ever! this weekend. We had 12 different families participate in one heck of a sale at our house. I have yet to recover. Two straight days of making deals and keeping kids from falling down the porch steps. Exhausting and yet so worth it. We were money making machines. It is ridiculous to think about how much stuff we have that we don't even need. But it feels so good to clean out the house. The sad thing is that this was our third yard sale at this house and we haven't even lived here a year. It's not just selling stuff though. We had a lot of fun hanging out with some friends for two days and having our kids run around laughing (and crying). It's been a good way to get to know people better (by hanging out and by seeing each others junk) and we made money doing it.

I also like going to garage sales. I used to be embarrassed by this a little because I felt like I was cheap. Then it was addicting because I started finding these unbelievable deals. I am a bargain hunter anyway so it's just my nature to never pay full price for something and I have come to terms with that. I have recently started to try going "green" in some areas of my life and realized that buying second hand is a way of doing that. I am recycling by buying and selling used things. That has turned me from being embarrassed to being an uppity enviromentalist. It's my Oregon roots.

The thing that anyone who has ever been to our house must congratulate us on is that we are getting a new couch with our yard sale money this week. You will no longer have your buns go numb or hit your funnybone on the wood sticking through the arm of our couch. Your Welcome.Haha.

3 comments:

RoniZee said...

My mom and aunt love to go to garage sales in the summer. Sometimes I go with them and we like to do the Obvious Slow Drive-By...to check out the goods before we stop. I am usually driving, so when we decide that a garage sale is not worth our time, I like to stomp down on the gas pedel and screech away...thus thoroughly embarrassing my mom and aunt. It's great fun.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is when I put something in my garage sale that I bought at a gargae sale, and never even used... I used to garage sale a ton in Oregon, till I realized how much gas it ended up costing - that pretty much defeats the purpose! Could EBay be considered the garage sale of the internet???

Priscilla said...

Yeah, we like a good garage sale. And we get stuff for ourselves and we also just buy things to resale. It's been a fun thing to do and is good entertainment.