Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Green Cleaning

This post is in direct relation to my belief that I poisoned my lungs this weekend with bleach. All of my cleaning products are green. But, I didn't know what to do with my two bottles of bleach. Saturday night I decided to take some extreme measures and bleach my bathtub due to some unsightly things that I couldn't take any longer. Instantly I had a headache and so I opened the window and tried to get everything out as quickly as I could. Sunday morning I woke up feeling like I had the black lung (the Zoolander version, not the real thing, it's actually quite bad). I've been trying to figure out why I am sick and not the kids. I usually only get sick from them so this is my conclusion. It was confirmed (at least in my mind) tonight as I was re-reading Green This! by Deirdre Imus. This book is so great at explaining why the products we usually use are bad and some really good (and cheap!) things we can do to replace them.

I could go on about the dangers of all the things we are cleaning with and the things that we are feeding our kids but it's really better if everyone makes this decision on their own. But, if we really want to keep our kids safe, we'll at least make researching this a priority. Many of these things are just things we don't even think about and are really easy to change.

No comments: